[birdky] RPT: Petrel parts :o(

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:46:33 -0400

I sure wish I'd been here at the office yesterday afternoon to take the call
from Mike Larimore, manager of the Frankfort Fish Hatchery, instead of just
listening to the message he left this morning. Just returned from the
hatchery and all that was left was an intact wing, the bill and front of the
head, and a few misc feathers including a couple from the tail, I think..
Probably a raccoon consumed the rest sometime last night.

Measurement of the wing is right in Band-rumped range (155 mm). According to
Mike, he picked up one exhausted bird off the pond yesterday and kept it for
awhile, hoping it would get better. When he noticed a second bird on the
same pond, he put the one back out on the edge. The second bird also
appeared in poor health and was not flying well, maybe just fluttering
around. The other may have been consumed by the many catfish in the pond;
guess we'll never know.

Live birds at the hatchery this morning included 15-20 Killdeer, 1 juv Semi
Plover, 1 juv Spotted, 1 Solitary Sp, 15 Least Sp, Green Herons, an Osprey,
and both buzzards.

bpb, Louisville