[birdky] RFI: Source for storm-petrel measurements

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:01:13 -0400

I am curious if anyone can find a source for Wilson's Storm-Petrel
measurements. Birds of North America has Band-rumped and Leach's, but not
Wilson's (I guess because they don't breed in NA).

Measurements from the Frankfort Fish Hatchery storm-petrel remnants are:

wing chord -- 155 mm

exposed culmen -- circa 12.5 mm as measured from feathers at dorsal point of
base of upper mandible to tip or circa 14 mm as measured from base of gape
to tip (this measurement is really difficult to do because of the shape of
the bill in these things!)

tail -- based on measurement of two different feathers from tip to base of
most basal vanes -- 73 mm Note: These two feathers are white on the basal
one-third ... I didn't realize storm-petrel rectrices had white bases!

These all lie within the norms for Band-rumped, but are close for Leach's
and I have no reference for Wilson's.

Thanks to anyone who can analyze or refer info.

I also collected 4 tiny mites from the white-based rects; I know Dave Lee
used to be interested in these critters; if anyone knows of ectoparasite
researchers who might like these specimens, please let me know.

Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr., Louisville