[birdky] RPT: Otter Creek Park, Sandhills and Eagles

  • From: Del Striegel <ddstriegel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kentucky Listserv <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:20:13 -0500

Assisted Charlie Logsdon of KY Fish and Wildlife today stocking trout at
various sites along Otter Creek in Meade County.  Seen four bald eagles this
morning, two immature eagles were near the boat ramp on the Ohio River inside
the park.  Two adults were at the nest inside Harrison County, IN (viewed from
KY).  No gulls or waterfowl on the Ohio River were seen from the boat ramp.

From 11 AM till 6 PM we heard Sandhills flying over heading north. 1,000 is a
conservative count.  I was outside tonight at 8:15 PM and could still hear
Sandhills flying north, go figure??

Otter Creek Park, Meade, US-KY
Feb 11, 2015 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Many sandhill cranes heading north today over Otter Creek.
15 species

Black Vulture  7     (Spotted by Charlie Logsdon)
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  2     (Two immature eagles near boat ramp inside the park)
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Sandhill Crane  1000     (1,000+ heading north over Otter Creek Park)
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
American Crow  25