[birdky] RPT: Otter Creek Park CBC results

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:02:50 -0500

Nine observers found 71 species on December 23, 2010. Highlights
included a decent variety of waterfowl on Doe Valley Lake (other than
the Ohio River the only non-frozen water in the circle), Red-headed
Woodpeckers in several wood lots where they are found during years with
decent mast (I think it is mostly a hickory species in that area this
winter), a few Red-breasted Nuthatches, 3 Brown Thrashers, a Pine
Warbler, 7 American Tree Sparrows, at least 150 Rusty Blackbirds, and a
few Purple Finches. The day was very cold, but clear with light breezes;
often on such days we'll see a flight of Sandhill Cranes, but I guess
they'd mostly moved to the south of us with the ice and cold of
mid-December.

bpb, Louisville