[birdky] RPT: Ohio River at Louisville, 2/28/2015, SEVEN spp of gulls!

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:51:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

The Louisville area gulls are finally starting to gravitate to the Falls of the
Ohio, especially in the afternoon. This situation will probably persist ONLY
for a couple of more days as the melt and rainfall predicted next week will
certainly result in the area going completely under water.

I saw 16 White-winged Scoters today ... 3 off Riverpart Marina (Towhead
Island/mouth of Beargrass Creek); 8 off Buckhead's; and 2 + 3 in the main basin
off the end of 10th St. (the gate on the Hillerich & Bradsby lot was "up" today
so we were able to park right on the river). Also present off 10th St. were the
continuing pair of Surf Scoters and the imm. male Black Scoter. No Long-taileds
seen at Louisville today as far as I know.

Gulls at Falls overlook and in basin:

Ring-billed: several hundred, but not counted at roost

Herring: I counted 516 at the Falls of the Ohio and probably missed several
dozen; there were smaller numbers still up in the basin.

Lesser-Black-backed: continuing adult

Great Black-backed: TWO first-year birds seen in the same field of view; flying
around, sitting/standing on outer wall; loafing in pools of outer fossil beds.

Glaucous: continuing adult and third-year birds

Iceland: very nice study today of the continuing first-year bird both in the
basin and on the outer fossil beds.

CALIFORNIA: an adult; most characters seen decently; nearly had to imagine
yellowish legs on it, but I feel pretty confident they were seen on at least a
couple of occasions. Loafing on the outer fossil bed pools; also seen flying
downstream and then upstream to the roost.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org