[birdky] RPT: Ohio River Louisville, Elizabethtown, and Hodgenville Jan. 1

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:07:50 -0500

On January 1 I went out birding with Barbara Warner to help start the new year
of birding and do some scouting for the Hodgenville CBC.  I birded the Ohio
River in Indiana from the "harbor" to the Falls of the Ohio, and then went to
Elizabethtown, Cecilia and Hodgenville to finish the day.  As of now there are
only two people to cover that entire count so hopefully this report will pique
someone's interest in helping.  The list:

Falls of the Ohio(nothing of note at harbor) 10:00-12:20 am
Canada Goose
Am. Black Duck
Mallard
1 drake NO. Pinitail in middle of river by dam
1 fem. Canvasback
10 Lesser Scaup presumed so too far away to be sure
5 Bufflehead
3 Co. Goldeneye-1 imm. male and 2 fem,
1 Hooded Merganser
 Pied-bl. Grebe
Double-cr. Cormorant
Am. Kestrel
1 imm. Herring Gull at Louisville in front of Joe's Crab Shack
Ring-bl. Gull
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Carolina Chick.
Carolina Wren
NO. Mockingbird
Song Sp.
White-thr. Sp.
No. Cardinal
Brown-hd. Cowbird- 20 or so flying low over I-65 by downtown
Am. Goldfinch
House Sp.

Elizabethtown Freeman Lake-1:30-2:00pm
Canada Goose
Mallard
1 Ring-nk. Duck
Pied-bl. Grebe
Turkey Vulture- 10 or so appeared to be heading to roost
Red-tl. Hawk
Am. Coot
Ring-bl. Gull
Belted King.
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Ea. Bluebird
No. Cardinal

Cecelia- 2:00-4:00pm a large corn field on the way to cecilia contained a lot
of good field birds

Wild turkey-20+
NO. Harrier-2 over field
red-tl. Hawk
Am. Kestrel-everywhere
1 Killdeer-in cornfield
Horned lark- 300+ in cornfield
Lapland Longspur- at least 2 in same field but flocks of larks were flighty
Brown-hd. Cowbird-40+- feeding with starlings in front of horse barn
Ea. Meadowlark- in ceclia near crane staging area

Hodgenville- mostly on old Sonora road and mcdowell road until dusk

Mallard
Black Vulture-2
Red-tl. Hawk
Am. kestrel
Sandhill Crane- 85 and more coming in large field off of old sonora rd
Downy Wood.- deeing on cornstalk in field
red-bl. Wood.
Am. Crow
CarolinA Chick.
Ea. Bluebird
No. Mocking.
Song Sp.
White -cr. Sp.- 6 or more in one spot
Dark -ey. Junco
No. Cardinal
East. meadowlark- 5 or so in wet depression off mcdowell rd.
Blackbird sp. 300+- too far to identify in field with cranes
Am. Goldfinch

Good birding,
Michael Autin,
Louisville, Ky