[birdky] RPT: Muhlenberg Co, 7/26/2008

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:48:02 -0400

Yesterday, Eddie Huber, Matt Stickel and myself spent part of the day in
Muhlenberg County, mostly at and near the Sinclair Unit of Peabody WMA.

Highlights:

The ash ponds at Paradise had only a few common shorebirds ... the upper basin
is nearly totally grown in and the large slurry pond up next to Sinclair had
nothing. Recorded on the main lower basin were D-cr Cormorant, Great Blue
Heron, Great Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron (only 1 adult), Green Heron,
Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated
Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, and Stilt Sandpiper (1 seen only in flight). I
was a bit surprised to see no terns with the showery overnight and early
morning.

At Sinclair we had at least two Mississippi Kites, one very close along the S3
loop (a first-year bird). I thought we might get a few Sedge Wrens but it
appears that none have arrived quite yet. We did hear 8-10 Henslow's Sparrows
and had very nice looks at a performing male Grasshopper Sparrow as well as a
nice, clean juvie. A Greater Yellowlegs flew over calling. Bell's Vireos were
still singing everywhere.

We also enjoyed seeing our first Gulf Fritillary butterflies of the year ....
soooo pretty.

bpb, Frankfort