[birdky] RPT: Mississippi River county shorebirds, 9/11/2013, 19 spp. including Piping Plover

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:12:54 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Eddie Huber and I birded the Mississippi River corridor from Island No. 1 south
of Wickliffe to Lake No. 9 in Fulton County on Wednesday. Shorebirds continued
to remain incredibly sparse at most spots, but by searching and searching and
searching, we finally found a few flocks of foraging birds and ended up with a
respectable total of 19 species on the day. Highlights included:

End of Salmon Lane in the Upper Hickman Bottoms -- at least 300 Killdeer and 52
American Golden-Plovers (a new state high count for fall I think); 2 Stilt
Sandpipers. The Killdeer and golden-plovers were feeding in a field being
disked following the summer flooding there.

Open Pond -- at least 300 Least Sandpipers, most in a pool on the north side of
the lane dividing the area that continues to persist following heavy August
rains; and an overflight Upland Sandpiper (heard only).

Wet area west of Long Point Unit -- 1 adult Black-necked Stilt still present
following nesting.

Outer shoreline of Island No. 9 near Lake No. 9, Fulton Co -- juv. Piping
Plover with color bands and leg flag. Photos posted on KOS Flickr page. Will be
neat to see if it can be determined where this bird was marked. Unfortunately
it was wading in a very muddy pool and colors of the bands are unclear.

Campbell Dikes (series of sandbars and pools upstream from Doug Travis WMA) --
nice group of at least 145 peeps including 10 juvie Western Sandpipers, only
Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Short-billed Dowitcher on the day, Baird's
Sandpiper, our first Wilson's Snipe of the fall season.

We didn't see a single gull or tern on the river? During the mid-day heat we
took to the shade of some wooded areas and tallied 11 species of warblers
including a couple of Worm-eatings and a Canada.

At dusk a roost of at least 230 Great Egrets was present at the south end of
Lake No. 9.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm