[birdky] RPT: Miss River and environs Aug 11-12

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:49:34 -0400

Mark Monroe and I were along the Miss River for part of the day Aug 12 as
posted earlier by Scott Record. We made non-comprehensive stops at Island
No. 1, Laketon, Campbell Dikes, and Westvaco WMA.

The river is already as low as it often bottoms out at in mid-September, so
much shorebird habitat has already appeared and become a desert.  The outer
shorelines are far from observation points and many stretches are not
visible because the shores drop so far down from the sandbar crests. Inner
shorelines and pools are restricted in number but were best upstream of the
old Laketon boat ramp (there is a new ramp about 1/2 mile downstream now).
We had 12 spp of shorebirds, best of which were all above the old Laketon
ramp and included 3 Buff-breasted Sps; about 6-8 Western Sps, 3 Stilt Sps
and a Short-billed Dowitcher. Many juveniles are showing up. Our main goal
of visiting this area was to assess the success of Least Tern nesting in the
area this year ... there are some juveniles, but not a whole lot in this
stretch. Of about 50 birds seen, only about 10 were juvs.  At the new
Laketon ramp, we had 21 Black Terns fly by in groups of 15, 3 and 3. Waders
were not numerous except in the vicinity of Westvaco WMA north of Columbus,
where only common species were seen. Mississippi Kites were present in
abundance, including one recently fledged juvenile at Westvaco.

On Aug 11th, a whirlwind tour of various sites along the lower Ohio River to
try and determine Least Tern nesting success yielded few interesting
observations. Only one juv tern was seen below Smithland Dam. We did stop by
Ballard WMA in the evening and got to see the previously mentioned White
Ibis along with most of the other stuff mentioned recently.

bpb, Louisville