[birdky] RPT: Misc observations

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard \(EPPC OOS KNPC\)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY \(E-mail\)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:46:56 -0400

I've spent a lot of time on our family farm in eastern Jefferson County
recently. Some weeks ago I noticed a Black Vulture visiting one of our barns a
few times during the afternoon. I thought maybe they had a nest there, but the
bird didn't seem to enter, just disappeared on the ground for a few minutes
each time it visited. A couple of days later I realized that it was visiting
the watering station for the cattle and since that time I have noted it and
perhaps others there regularly. The birds will drift in from far off, and land
on the ground next to it; then jump up and get a good long drink before flying
up to a pole for a brief rest before flying off a minute or two later.
Yesterday, our farm manager and I noted that there were two Black Vultures
standing in the small feed lot next to the waterer and they were soaking wet,
with outstretched wings drying! The birds are not only coming to this small,
one-foot square source of water to drink ... they are also utilizing it for
bathing! Interesting that there is no better source for such activities within
their home range.

On July 17th, I was mowing a field of hay and most unexpectedly flushed an
American Bittern! Only the second time I've had one on the farm. Wouldn't have
been surprised to kick one up in April or Sept/Oct, but what the heck is one
doing moving around in mid-July ... little observations like that can really
reveal a lot about movements of obscure species.

I failed to post on some early-season shorebirds in western KY July 5th while
checking on some Least Tern sites. On the 5th, John Brunjes and I visited a
number of sites and had a few birds in Union County including a Greater
Yellowlegs and a Short-billed Dowitcher. A Bell's Vireo nest I had found a
couple of weeks prior contained 3 cute little feathered young (no cowbirds in
this one). The Camp #11 ponds had at least one family of Common Moorhen chicks
and a full-grown brood of Blue-winged Teal.

bpb, Frankfort