[birdky] RPT: LBL and Peabody observations

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:07:34 -0500

LBL

Mary and I made several stops around the Land Between the Lakes area Sunday.
No big finds.  Ky. Dam and nearby lake were surprisingly empty.  Most of the
birds were on Lake Barkley.

* Scoter species. Briefly saw two scoters above Ky. Dam mid-morning.  They
were feeding, and therefore underwater and out of sight, most of the time
and then apparently flew when the goldeneye / scaup mixed flock flew and
resettled.  I say apparently, because we did not spot them in flight.
Despite a concerted search, we could not relocate the birds.  Neither of us
could narrow the birds conclusively to species, but both thought at least
one of them was likely an adult female white-winged.

* Several thousand (maybe 6,000+ total) gulls in the Kuttawa and Barkley Dam
area.  Despite considerable searching, we spotted only ring-billed, herring,
and Bonaparte's gulls.

Peabody WMA

* Merlins seen at River Queen (1/26) and Sinclair (1/27) units.

* Cackling goose with Canada goose in field along Rockport-Paradise Road
(near Sinclair).

* Sinclair also provided 1 rough-legged hawk, 2 short-eared owls, and a
great-horned owl.

Ben Yandell
Louisville