[birdky] RPT: FW: Fulvous Whistling Ducks on Blood River

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:45:40 -0400

Posting for Barry Hart with TVA:

Thought I'd send this information on to you concerning a recent sighting
of Fulvous Whistling Ducks on the upper end of Blood River embayment
(Crappie Hollow).  Between the hours of 1900 and 2000 on 28 July 2008, I
and a few other TVA employees were on the islands in Crappie Hollow
conducting wetland surveys when we observed a flock of 9 Fulvous
Whistling Ducks flying low over the embayment.  Flight characteristics
and plumage were diagnostic and unmistakable for this flock.  In flight,
the birds exhibited a goose-like appearance with head oriented slightly
below a horizontal plane, and the high-pitched whistling call was voiced
repeatedly during each fly-by.  (The flock circled the upper end of the
embayment several times and even landed twice.)  The wings were
completely blackish (especially beneath) without any wing markings
(e.g., colored speculum).  The entire head, breast, and belly were
tannish brown or rust color.  The characteristic that was undeniably
diagnostic was the white rump band bordered by the terminal black tail
band.  There was just no way to make this flock into anything else.
Quite a show.

Barry Hart , Paris, TN

Our local Blood River resident, Hap Chambers, is out of town through the
weekend, so if anyone else paddles around the embayment, please pass
along any updates!

bpb