[birdky] RFI: Periodic cicada species ....

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:07:58 -0400

I guess most folks know there are actually 3 species of periodic cicadas
emerging right now. I think very little is known about which species are
occurring where. As birders who pay attention to calls, I'd think we
might be able to provide a great deal of information on where the
various species are occurring by listening to the calls and noting where
they are heard. Below is a map where they are occurring. Red is
established range; green is less well established range.

Two of the three species sound very different from one another. So far
I've heard the big ones (septemdecim) that say "phaaaaa-roh" in the DBNF
counties of Lee and Wolfe and also all along the BBS route I run in
northern Taylor County. Here in Frankfort, the smaller species (cassini)
is all I think I'm hearing with their scratchy whining that sounds not
unlike the regular yearly cicadas. It would be neat to try to put
together a bit of species range info (I don't think it's been done in
any organized manner before).

John MacGregor with Ky Fish and Wildlife was expressing an interest in
them before they came out and I can pass along info to him.

The calls can be listened to on the web site below. You have to curse
down to the "Magicicada Species" section and there are all the calls.

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Periodical/Inde
x.html#Magicicadaseptendecim

If anyone is interested, refer notes on locations and which species you
think you are hearing to me and I'll send them along to John. We've only
got a few weeks!

BPB, Frankfort

JPEG image