[birdky] Barkley Lake Area

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:14:56 -0500

The Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are still active on HWY 453.  We have observed
them regularly since May 7.  Lately, the male is the one present.  He usually
is on a sign post or wires on the west side. He occasionally crosses to the
wires on the east side.

An immature  Bald Eagle is still in the nest near Barkley Dam with one or both
adults appearing occasionally.

The Osprey nest on the east end of Barkley regularly has three to four birds
around it.

Yesterday we had at least four Dickcissels in the grassy area around the Dam.

We had a Black-billed Cuckoo in our yard Friday.  We still have not had a
single Yellow-billed this year.

We are seeing a few Black Vultures regularly along with the many Turkey
Vultures in the area.

There are at least four families of Canada Geese  along Old Hwy. 62 in Kuttawa.
 Two of  these families we have observed for over five weeks and only one of
ten young have been lost.

Ken Leggett
Eddyville, KY