[birdky] Pike County

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:54:32 -0400

A male BROWN THRASHER has been singing in the yard all week. WOOD DUCKS
and CLIFF SWALLOWS have returned to the area. One beautiful male PURPLE
FINCH was at one of the feeders this morning. The other finches, HOUSE
AND AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES, filled the trees with gleeful tunes all day
long. The BARRED OWLS chortled at each other from one side of the hollow
to the other last night and entertained us through our open bedroom
windows. And, alas, the male CARDINALS awakened us at 5:30 a.m. with
their loud "alarm". Much to my surprise there have been a few JUNCOES at
the feeders this week and I saw only TWO JUNCOES all winter long. I
guess that they have spent the winter further south and are migrating
through here now.

Les and I just returned from a great Texas birding trip!

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature