[birdky] Pike Co.

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:44:13 -0400

Greetings from Happy Valley,
Lots of juveniles are about this week, some still with parents, others
almost on their own. Young RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS have discovered the
ripening plums and have been going after them with gusto! Several
juvenile EASTERN PHOEBES are still clinging to "Mommie", but nonetheless
have been entertaining us. The "HUMMERS" have become more independent
and sound and act like droning airplanes all around the yard. The
juvenile RED-TAIED HAWKS have stopped squalling for their feedings. The
young AMERICAN REDSTARTS constantly maneuver in and out of the treetops
at the edge of the woods, playing kamikaze. And, on other fronts, the
WOOD THRUSHES still sing from daylight to dark from different points all
around us and the BARRED OWLS make their myriad of "noises" throughout
the night.

This week while on one of our forages for blackberries, we encountered a
GREAT BLUE HERON all the way at the head of a small creek. Usually we
find them at the river or near ponds. We also saw/heard: lots of
YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS, BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS, HOODED WARBLERS,
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, RED-EYED VIREO, INDIGO BUNTINGS, etc.

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature
Happy Valley, S. Williamson, KY (Pike Co)