[birdky] Nesting Red-headed Woodpeckers

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 16:58:46 -0500

A sinkhole basin, in the woodlot across the road, clogged and held water for
several months. That was several years ago and it eventually drained, but
not before a number of large trees drowned. They now are bleached snags and
seem to have something to do with our abundance of woodpeckers lately. I've
noticed a pair of Red-headeds around one of the trees recently. It is the
only one of the drowned trees that is clearly visible from the house, so I
set up the scope on the porch this morning and have been watching them going
in and out of a hole all day. Occasionally, I can see them flip gobs of
wood chips out of the opening! I posted a few typically-lousy photos to
Flickr. The tree is about 200 yards away, so my photo quality suffers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/18384797558/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/18572670455/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/18385065350/in/dateposted-public/