[birdky] NE KY Waterfowl Surveys

  • From: "John Brunjes" <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:46:46 -0500

Hello everyone:

I've been flying waterfowl surveys in the northeastern parts of the state
(Licking River, Cave Run Lake, Grayson Lake, Yatesville Lake, the Ohio from
Ashland to Cincinnati, Campbell county Lake and Kinkade Lake).  I just
thought I would give you a quick update on my flight yesterday.  Due to the
very cold temperatures, most water is frozen up, so all the birds were
concentrated in areas where the water is open (Cave Run Lake, Licking River
and Ohio River).  Due to the concentrated nature, there were lots of ducks
to be seen (5,833).  The vast majority were dabbling ducks with mallards
(3,668) being most abundant, but there were good numbers of black ducks
(804) and gadwall (618).  There were more divers present than I had seen on
previous surveys as well with over 100 ring-necked ducks, scaup, redhead,
and bufflehead being seen.  There were > 200 hooded mergansers seen as well.
Below I have some notes about each spot.

Cave Run Lake:  Bays are frozen but most of lake is open.  There are good
numbers of Dabling ducks (829) and diving ducks (323).  Gadwall are the most
abundant dabbling species (462) followed by mallard (338) and black ducks
(29).  Most of the gadwall and mallards are feeding on the flats near the
Zilpo campground.  Among the diving ducks, there was a good number of scaup
(150--species id from the air is impossible)  and bufflehead (126) and
goldeneye, ring-neck duck, and ruddy duck were present.  The prize find for
the lake was 3 scoters (just about in the middle of the lake).  My gut is
surf scoters…but I can't be positive.  There was a loon present (again not
sure of id from air).  There were good numbers of Bonaparte's gulls (>150)
and ring-billed gulls.

Ohio River:  There were more ducks on the Ohio than I have seen in the last
2 seasons.  Ducks were concentrated in the vicinities of the power
plants.  Again,
lots of mallards and black ducks.  There was a flock of >100 redheads and a
flock of 25 red-breasted mergansers.  The lock and dam on the Ohio River
(Greenup Co.  Closest town I see is Grays Branch) had large numbers of gulls
(~300) feeding below the dam.  Most appeared to be ring bills and
Bonaparte's but there could be other stuff in there.  The best bird on the
Ohio was an adult male black scoter in Lewis County (west of Concord) just
east of the Manchester 1 and 2 islands (Ohio River Islands NWR) and there
was also an unidentified loon in the same area.  One of the more interesting
sights was the large number (>500) great-blue herons feeding along the Ohio.
 They seemed to be everywhere.

--
John H. Brunjes
Frankfort, KY