[birdky] Re: Mycoplasmal conjuntivitis

  • From: Paul Hager <bereahager@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lindacraiger@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:37:08 -0500

IAt least half the house finches have conjunctivitus and I have seen it in a few of the goldfinches. I had one to two dozen house finches in December -- now I may see at most 5 a day. The goldfinch numbers seemed to have increased to dozens, but I have seen the disease in no more than two at one time and usually only one. I saw one goldfinch today which seemed at the end of its rope 5 house finches = two with conjunctivitus. I have been watching te other birds and have not seen any in cardinals, sparrows or juncos. I found a dead dove when I moved my recycling bin Monday, but it did not appear to have an eye problem. Thre just seems to be an epidemic this winter. I observed only one bird the whole of lat winter. Paul Hager, Berea.

On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:37 PM, linda craiger wrote:

I have had a significant outbreak of mycoplasmal conjunctivitis in my feeders birds, primarily the House Finches, but at least one Goldfinch and a female Cardinal. Although I cleaned my feeders, I stopped using them and have just scattered seeds rather than putting them in the feeders for a week now, and the Cardinal just showed up today. I'm very concerned. Is anyone else having a problem at this time? Thanks. Linda Craiger / Glasgow