[birdky] Mosquito fogging

  • From: "Patti Bell" <pbjoin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:46:32 -0400

The Metro Louisville Health Department's mosquito-fogging vehicle just
rolled through our little piece of the Highlands, and provoked a question I
was hoping for some opinions on.  Keep in mind that I'm the sort of person
who carries the spiders outside instead of killing them, so my bias is to be
upset that this is happening.

My assumption is that since these pesticides can have some negative impacts
to vulnerable people (folks with asthma, for example), and humans have a
very low probability of being exposed to West Nile Virus, and an even lower
probability of being harmed by it, the fogging practice may cause more harm
than benefit.  However, I don't know why the health department would do it,
unless they're bowing to public panic.

But my more burning question is around the impact to birds.  Obviously many
insects, beneficial ones included, will die from this pesticide application.
West Nile Virus is much more prevalent and dangerous to birds; but so is
hunger, particularly during migration season.  Does this mosquito fogging
have a significant impact on food available for migrants (or residents), or
is it localized enough that the impact is small?  Does the benefit to birds
of lower West Nile Virus risk outweigh the cost of having fewer insects
available for consumption?

Is there any effort going on at the local level to try and encourage the
health department to stop this practice?

Is this happening elsewhere in the state?

Am I wasting energy being bothered by it when there are much bigger issues
to worry about?

And wasn't that great news about NYC turning off the city lights during
migration season?