[birdky] Re: Migrants in Fulton County 3/21/14

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <HapC1@xxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:02:20 -0400

Hi Hap,

It was nice to see a post from you and to hear about all the birds. Les and
I spent last week at the far south end of Pawleys Island, SC. We love the
location of the house, right on the beach and the ocean comes in under the
deck at high tide. Plus there are only three houses beyond ours and the rest
of the island is a great place for birds. It is a three bedroom house and is
very unpretentious, not one of the Mc Mansions. We occasionally feel guilty
about having three b bedrooms, but soon recover and think how wonderful it
is to be alone at the beach. Huntington Beach State Park, one of the best
birding spots on the east coast, is a mere 3 miles north. We also go south
of Georgetown, SC to the Santee Coastal Reserve. Part of the Preserve was a
former rice plantation. The impoundments are now used for birds, with
control of the levels of water.

The birds are in transition here. The TOWHEES, SONG SPARROWS. MOURNING
DOVES, CHIPPING SPARROWS, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS, ETC. are singing  and
making other attempts to attract females in all directions. Oh, and the
EASTERN PHOBER HAS BEEN VOCAL ALSO.

After all the vestiges of this unbelievable winter are gone, we might
remember it as a nice experience.

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature