[birdky] LBL's Hummingbird Festival

  • From: "Robert Peak" <blubrds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY listserv" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:14:29 -0500

After reading Preston Forsythe's message, I thought there might be
individuals who would like more specific information about the Hummingbird
Festival at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.  (I copied it
from the LBLNRA Web site.)  LBL's Nature Station truly is a great place to
see about as many hummingbirds as one could expect to see at a single
location, and the festival provides a rare opportunity to see the banding
process.  We recommend it for birders of any age.

Respectfully submitted,

Bob Peak

Henderson, KY

HUMMINGBIRD WEEKEND
NATURE STATION

Early August is the best time to see lots of ruby-throated hummingbirds at
the Nature Station! This is the peak of their migration as they pass through
the LBL area on their way to their wintering grounds in Mexico and Central
America. Celebrate the amazing spectacle of these beautiful and beloved tiny
birds with us this weekend. We'll kick things off on Friday with a hands-on
workshop for teachers and interested citizens who would like to contribute
to backyard research projects about hummingbirds. On Friday evening, enjoy
dinner in our backyard gardens while you watch the hummingbirds flit about
among the flowers. The main festival activities take place Saturday and
Sunday, as the annual Hummingbird Festival gets into full swing. See the
listings below for more information.  Check back on this website for further
updates about the weekend's schedule of programs and activities.

8/6/2010 - 8/6/2010
9:00 AM-3:00 PM

Hummingbird Workshop
NATURE STATION

Do you enjoy watching hummingbirds in your backyard? Would you like to learn
how to make your backyard into a hummingbird habitat and contribute your
observations to hummingbird research projects? Then this hands-on workshop
is for you! Bill Hilton, Jr., of Operation RubyThroat will teach you how to
create a Hummingbird Habitat at home or school. You will also learn how to
make hummingbird observations and submit your data to EarthTrek (
<http://www.goearthtrek.com/> www.goearthtrek.com). This workshop is perfect
for teachers who want to learn how to get their students more involved in
studying the environment. There will also be opportunities for helping take
measurements, up-close views, and photography for each participant. Workshop
is recommended for ages 13 and up. $10 per person. Includes light snacks and
workshop materials. Reservations and full deposits required. Limited to 24
participants. Call 270-924-2020 to reserve your space.  Bring a lunch.

8/6/2010 - 8/6/2010
6:00 PM-8:00 PM

Dinner with the Hummingbirds
NATURE STATION

Have you ever dined out while surrounded by dozens of hummingbirds? Join
Bill Hilton, Jr., of Operation RubyThroat, as he demonstrates the process of
banding hummingbirds for research. Also, enjoy a tasty catered dinner as you
relax amidst the backyard gardens and watch these flying jewels have a
feeding frenzy of their own. $15 per person. Reservations and full deposits
required. Call 270-924-2020 to reserve your space.

8/7/2010 - 8/8/2010
-

Hummingbird Festival*
NATURE STATION

9am-4pm on Saturday (last banding demo at 4pm)
10am-4pm on Sunday (last banding demo at 2pm)
If you like hummingbirds, then Nature Station is the place for you this
weekend! Ruby-throated hummingbirds flock to the Nature Station in huge
numbers during early August as they visit our flowers and feeders to fuel up
for their amazing journey south. Join Bill Hilton, Jr., of Operation
RubyThroat, as he demonstrates hummingbird banding, a common technique used
to study birds, and discusses what he has learned about their migration and
biology. Enjoy a variety of programs, demonstrations, and activities focused
on the many different ways that people study and learn about birds, as well
as how we can help our feathered friends survive. Take home a
wildlife-friendly plant from our native plant sale. Check out the works of a
talented local nature photographer. Bring the whole family because there
will be plenty for kids to do too! And of course, delight in watching more
hummingbirds in one place than you can count!  *Ideal for Home Educators. $3
children/$5 adults.