[birdky] Kuttawa, Barkley Dam, Kentucky Dam. (Tongue in cheek report)

  • From: John Rice <hermit2337@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:35:03 -0700 (PDT)

LOTS of wind today. Many vultures up early playing in it.
LOTS of water being dumped. Water flowing over ALL gates at KY Dam.
LOTS of vultures at Barkley Dam.
Counted 15 Black and 3 Turkey, but not an accurate count, I was
too  busy taking close-ups of Black Vultures.
LOTS of Pelicans at Barkley and Kentucky Dams
        Good time for flying Pelican shots - better at Ky. Dam.
Many more Pelicans at Kentucky Dam. Two large groups
below the bridge downriver of the dam.
LOTS of  water chickens (Coots) nearly everywhere, but most (hundreds) above
KY Dam. Many feeding in the grass. I think I got some shots
of their funky feets.

NOTES: Eagle on nest, a few Canada Geese, Ring-necked Ducks,
possible Widgeons, and a Scaup at forestry site.
Big old tom turkey in full diaplay (boy, he looked BIG!) impressing the
she-turkeys,
also an osprey on nest: both along Hwy 295 loop near Kuttawa.
I finally found the common loons above KY dam when one
popped up close and bit me on the nose!

Beware: the Pied-billed Grebes are breeding very successfully out there. They
are all
over the place in larger than usual numbers. However, true to their genes,
they are severely anti-photogenic.

John Rice
Caldwell County
Humor intended; any sarcasm unintentional.