[birdky] Info about BirdKy/Birding questions

  • From: "Kathy Caminiti" <krzy4owls@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:43:27 -0400

To Diane and the rest of the list (in case others wonder the same thing)>

Hi Diane, Welcome to the BirdKy listserv!  And you're certainly not in the
wrong place.  This listserv is for anyone that enjoys birds.  It's just a
great way to discuss birds at any level.  You can ask any questions about
birds such as identification, bird behavior, where to go birding, or
anything else relating to birds.  Then, other subscribers can try to help
you out.  It's been great for learning and sharing all kinds of information
about birds.  The wonderful thing about birding is that you can do it at any
level you want....from simply wanting to identify an unknown backyard or
local bird species to chasing bird species around the state and beyond.

Don't feel intimidated as I've been doing this for many years and still
don't know all the bird songs!  LOL   My husband and I bought a field guide
about 20 years ago to identify birds at our backyard feeder and birds on our
farm.  Then, I took a community education class at a local high school.  It
was called "Birdwatching" and was taught by Lee McNeely here in Boone
County.  So that's how we met Lee and then he started up a local bird club
here called Northern Ky. Bird Club.  By taking bird field trips with Lee
McNeely, we learned so much more about all the birds in the area and we're
still learning.  So for those people just starting out, I guess I would
recommend trying to find a local bird club and taking field trips.  It's
great learning from the experts and a lot less frustrating. :o)

Since you're in Bracken County, we do have some field trips more out towards
your way.  Feel free to join us on a Northern Ky. Bird Club at Meldahl Dam
on October 26th.  We're meeting at 8:00 here in Burlington but we can
certainly make arrangements to meet you at the dam that morning.  You can
just email me directly at krzy4owls@xxxxxxxx if you would like to do that or
email me your mailing address and I'll put a NKBC newsletter in the mail to
you.

Email me with some information on that "one you simply haven't been able to
identify" and I'll try to help.  .

You can always feel free to email me directly with any birding questions or
you can email the entire listserv.

Also, the Boone County Winter Bird Count will be coming up the end of
December.  And Ron Lusby is out there in Campbell County and also does a
Campbell County Winter Bird Count.  If you'd like, you can join either of
those and hook up with one of the teams to count birds.  I'll look up those
dates and email them directly to you.

Thanks and Good Birding !
Kathy Caminiti
Burlington, Ky.