[birdky] House Finch in the hoarfrost

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:58:34 -0600

It was 7 degrees and foggy at sunrise this morning, here in South Logan.
The west sides of the wispy tree branches and weeds had ½ inch or so of a
delicate crystal growth, that made even an every-day House Finch look
lovely!   I snapped a photo (Flickr link below) just before sunrise,
thinking the hoarfrost would burn off quickly.  It actually lasted for hours
after sunrise, which made for a marvelously beautiful morning.

Btw, for the first time in many years, we missed Bobwhites entirely through
the four GBYBC days and I was worried about them.  Not anymore.  This
morning I walked through the 9” of snow, across to the corner of the
harvested bean field, ~600 yards south of the house.  I wanted to see if I
could discern what the three coyotes were up to that I’d seen there earlier.
The coyotes were gone, but when I stepped through the fencerow, a covey of
quail scattered and flew back toward the house.  There were at least 10.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/16539228896/