[birdky] Henderson sloughs

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kazamiya@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:55:40 -0500

   Hope many of you got bird at least a little on this gorgeous January day!

  Back to the Henderson WMA for me today, and with ice receding, more birds
were back too.?
  Tundra swans, 30, rimmed the water at Wood Tract north. Mallards and coots
dotted the open water of that area too. The south was busier, with snow geese,
probably near a 1000, competing with white-fronted geese for corn and water.
Unfortunately, looking into the brilliant south-side sun limited my ability to
identify the ducks or do much counting. I did get one pair of N. Pintails, and
one pair of Shovelers (and, of course, tons of mallards).

  Hardy slough boasted one adult bald eagle at the nest; Anderson Pond had no
eagles unless one was snuggled down in the nest. Lurking around the ducks and
geese were at least 4 more eagles, two of which I could ID as juveniles.

  Stopped on the way home at Sandy Watkins Park in Hebbardsville, where
meadowlarks were singing to beat the band. They gathered in fours and fives,
and the chorus was beautiful. Northern Harriers were out constantly, and at one
point I had a pair and two other females in my view at the same time. I spent a
lot of time trying to get pictures, but I can't say yet that any are worth
posting to the KOS site.

  Lastly, I am remiss in not thanking Frank and Alison Lyne publicly for their
warm welcome and hospitality on Saturday when Jeeves viewers practically had to
line up and take a number. Seeing a Harris sparrow was a checkmark in a book;
meeting them was a delight.

  Good birding everyone
  Kate Hannah
  Owensboro, Ky