[birdky] Hawk or cat victim? How can you tell?

  • From: "Jordan Davis" <warriah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:01:27 -0500

I stumbled across a large pile of feathers in an open area of the yard a few
moments ago.  At first, I got excited thinking maybe a hawk was around to
identify.  However, I remembered my parents mentioning that the neighbor's
cat has been around lately.  So how can you tell?  I believe the feathers
belonged to an American Robin. There was a pile about a foot or more in
diameter of feathers and a half-eaten berry (prune? from around the feeder)
near the pile.  No bones, no feet/bill.  Could have happened anywhere
between 5pm last night and 12pm today (had to work this morning,
unfortunately, so I didn't get to watch the feeders/yard).

I'm wanting to know for a couple reasons.  One, if it was the neighbor's
cat, I'd like to see if they could possibly keep it indoors and out of my
yard (if possible) for the protection of the birds.  And two, if it was a
hawk, I'd love to be able to spot it and try to identify it.

Thanks for the help,

-Jordan
Bowling Green, KY