[birdky] Re: Great Horned Owls - roadkill

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:06:51 -0500

More likely that they have half-grown young that they are feeding at
this date and are more actively hunting because of it.  Hawks and owls
take advantage of increased rodent numbers on roadsides (eating trash)
and are unfortunately often hit while dropping on prey.

Roadkills seem to be most numerous while raising young and during
thick snow cover.

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY