[birdky] Grayson Co CBC

  • From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:54:19 -0600

Count guru John Brittain's computer is on vacation, so I'll fill in. We had a
great day weatherwise last Saturday.
We turned up 2279 individuals of 62 species. The highlight of the day was a
cooperative adult bald eagle, who soared over us in lazy circles for a good
fifteen minutes.
A flock of 75 killdeer flying and turning in unison was also great to see.
Unlike some other areas, our bluebird population seems fine (127). Same with
crows (500) and jays (120), both of which have recovered nicely from the west
Nile virus knockdown a few years ago. 12 red-breasted nuthatches and 5
red-headed woodpeckers were both high numbers for this six-year-old count.

Here's to great birding year,

Steve Kistler
Hart Co, KY