[birdky] Fw: Mitchell Lake Report (BWMA)

  • From: "Scott & Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:52:50 -0500

Excellent shorebird habitat now exists at Mitchell Lake.  Water levels are
lower than in the last 3 years and habitat is such that wading thorough a lot
of mud may be necessary to access it all.  There are now extensive mudflats on
both sides of the island that runs down the middle of the lake and good habitat
on Lower beaver dam slough.  Shorebird numbers appear to be up from last week
and a few more species have shown up as well.  The following numbers are
conservative estimates only as much of my attention was on photography and I
pushed a lot of birds around in my endeavors.

Great Blue Heron --15
Great Egret --100
Snowy Egret --1
Little Blue Heron -- 2
M. Kite  --2
Semipalmated Plover -- 1
Killdeer --  100 +
Greater Yellowlegs -- 10
Solitary Sandpiper --  6
Spotted Sandpiper --  1
Least Sandpiper  --  15 +  ( adults and juveniles)
Pectoral Sandpiper  --  100
Stilt Sandpiper --  4

Scott Record
Ragland KY