[birdky] Falls of the Ohio SP

  • From: rodgoforth@xxxxxxx
  • To: IN-BIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:57:48 +0000

A late morning visit to the Falls today (8/8) revealed some good birds. From
10:30 until 2:00pm, I enjoyed views of two Osprey, one of which I thought to be
a juvenile due to the white feather edge on its countours, which was confirmed
when I viewed it perched at close distance and saw an orange color to the eye
(unlike the yellow eye of the adult). The juvenile made several attempts at
"fishing" and came up empty taloned. The other osprey was a more efficient 1
for 2 during the upclose fishing expedition that I viewed.

Other fish-eaters on hand were...
a pair of belted kingfishers,
a green heron,
20+ black-crowned night-heron (a couple juveniles),
50+ great blue heron,
10 great egrets (saw a personal high for the Falls of 18 there two weeks ago),
1 snowy egret (hanging around the far west end of the outer fossil beds by the
waterfall),
2 ring-billed gulls
and 5 double-crested cormorants.

Several shorebirds on hand today including...
greater yellowlegs
spotted sandpiper
solitary sandpiper
killdeer
and several unidentified peeps on the outer fossil beds

Rod Goforth
Jeffersonville, IN