[birdky] Costa Rica

  • From: s.neace@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:57:24 -0500

My husband and I spent a few short lovely days in the Montevere area of Costa
Rica a few weeks ago, with birding as an incidental activity of seeing a
totally new environment.   Even though I had faithfully studied the bird book I
bought for weeks before we left, I was only minimally prepared to identify what
we saw in the cloud forest or even from the balcony at our hotel.   I can say
my new favorite bird is the blue crested Mot Mot (we didn't see the famous
Quetzal) which we saw feeding on a fruit tree in our hotel gounds as well as
sleeping under a banana leaf during our night walk with a tour guide, and the
Hummingbird garden we stopped at not only let us see an incredible variety of
hummingbirds but also to get an up close and personal look at a tribe of the
local white faced coatis (think Raccoons with long bushy upright tails) who up-
ended the hummingbird feeders so they could drink the sugar water.   I
generally know most of the birds I see during any given outing in the US, at
least well enough to know the group it belongs in if not the actual bird, but
every sighting of every bird (this time of the year) was a totally new bird (or
mammal). If you get a chance to go there, do it - we are not very experienced
overseas travelers but our tour company - centralamerica.com- tailored a trip
for us within the time and budget we had for it and connected us with english
speaking guides and opportunities to do the things we wanted to do while we
were there.