[birdky] Clarification of Woodcock Request

  • From: "John Brunjes" <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:27:55 -0500

Hello again;

I just received a question and I wanted to clarify my request.  I do not
need you to see the birds, hearing them is good enough.  Woodcock produce a
"kent" call (done from the ground) and series of vocalizations which occur
during the actual display flight.  These are most commonly done right around
dusk (which usually means the birds can't be seen).  the location of any of
these would be very beneficial for my work.  I realize estimating numbers
from vocalizations can be difficult, but any guess you can give would really
help.

Thanks again,

John

*John H. Brunjes, Ph.D.*

Migratory Bird Program

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

#1 Sportsman's Lane - Wildlife Annex

Frankfort, KY 40601

800-858-1549  Ext. 498

email: john.brunjes@xxxxxx

*Did you know...   Hunting, fishing, boating and wildlife watching fund
60,000 Kentucky jobs?*