[birdky] Carolina wren mating strategies

  • From: "Shannon Trimboli" <shannontrimboli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:31:00 -0600

Hi,
I'm a graduate student at Western Kentucky University who is studying Carolina
wrens and their mating strategy. Most of our songbirds form pair bonds every
spring and attempt to raise a clutch or two of young together. Scientists used
to think that those pair bonds were monogamous and that within each breeding
season the birds were faithful to their mate. However, within the past decade
or two, scientists have realized that in reality there is alot of cheating
going on with most species. Carolina wrens are one of the few exceptions. DNA
testing has shown that Carolina wrens are both socially and genetically
monogamous -- in other words they don't cheat.

I'm interested in studying why Carolina wrens don't cheat. If almost every
other species cheats then that tends to indicate that there must be an
advantage for birds to cheat on their mates. So what's different about Carolina
wrens? Why is something that is apparently beneficial to almost every other
species of songbird, not beneficial to Carolina wrens? Why are they truly
monogamous when most songbirds only appear to be? Those are the types of
questions that I'm interested in studying. My thesis research will be looking
at two possible answers to those questions.

If possible, I would like to conduct my research using "backyard" wrens in
Warren, Simpson, and Barren counties. By the end of August, I plan to capture
and color band 15 pairs of Carolina wrens. Over the next year I will be
conducting monthly behavioral observations of each pair of wrens. I will also
be asking the backyard owners to conduct what I call "opportunistic
observations." Basically, if you happen to see the birds, then I'll ask you to
record what they are doing, who they are with, where they are in your backyard,
just simple stuff like that. Those observations will be done whenever it is
convenient to you and you happen to see the birds, so there won't be a huge
time commitment on your part. However, if you want to do lots of opportunistic
observations -- wonderful! The more data I have, the more complete of a picture
I can get of what the wrens are doing and why they may be doing that. If you
don't have time to do many opportunistic observations, that's fine too. I know
we've all got busy schedules and other time commitments. That's why I'll be
doing the monthly observations.

If you have a pair of Carolina wrens living in your yard that you might be
willing to let me study or you are interested in learning more about my
research, please contact me off list. I'll be happy to answer any questions
that you have. Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy birding and have a great day!
Shannon Trimboli
Franklin, KY (Simpson County)
WKU graduate student