[birdky] Bluebirds, goldfinches...

  • From: j arnold <alee04lacebark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:48:26 -0800 (PST)

We have had up to 30 goldfinches eating the black oil
sunflowers and thistles in our feeders and on the
ground. We have very many house finches, but haven't
seen any purple finches as we have in the past. Five
adult and two juvenile white crowned sparrows eat the
scratch we put on our porch and cracked corn on the
sidewalk. At least two pairs of cardinals, wb
nuthatches, many downy woodpeckers, occasional
red-bellied eat at the feeders. One field sparrow, a
few song sparrows, a few juncoes and now a couple of
blue jays eat on the porch. Many titmice and
chickadees enjoy the satellite feeder. We have one
mockingbird eating the suet along with many darn
starlings.

I have fed our five bluebirds almost 5,000 mealworms
in the last two weeks, supplemented with currants,
making up to four trips during the day to feed them.
They refuse the suet we added to the mix. My husband
made two feeders of small containers attached to the
posts holding the birdhouses they used to nest last
summer, about a football field away from our house.
Many times they are waiting in the nearby trees for us
to bring the food. My husband worries we are making
them dependent on us, but I believe there is little
natural food for them this year and that we would find
them dead in the birdhouses as we did last year if we
were not feeding them.

My sister who lives in more open farmland area in the
south of this county, has a pair of purple finches
plus about 50 goldfinches. Has a sapsucker and many
cardinals.

Judy Arnold
North Shelby County (near Oldham Co. line)