[birdky] Re: Black-necked Stilt

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 14:42:48 -0500

After receiving a phone call from Frank, I visited the KY 739 Transient
Lake-Pond this afternoon around 12:15 PM.  I first viewed the smaller nearby
transient pond on Pearson Road as mentioned by Frank below.  There I
observed 5 Blue-winged Teal and 3 adult Mallards.  9 ducklings, presumably
Mallards, were also observed briefly.

At the KY 739 Transient Lake-Pond, I waded in knee to mid-thigh water {and
rotting wheat and weeds (the smell was enchanting)} for a few yards to one
side to try to view all of the northeast end of the pool.  I gave up before
I could see it all, but was able to see about 90% of the shoreline and
submerged wheat/weed edge.  I was not able to find the Stilts.  I did locate
1 Spotted Sandpiper.  It was using the mass of floating/rotting weeds as
though it was land.

I drove to other similar but smaller locations in south central Logan
County, but all were backed up into planted crops and shorebirds were not
easily observable from the roads.  (none were observed)  Oddly, the wetland
at entrance to the Russellville/Logan County Airport was bone dry.  There
was the appearance of farmer activity resulting in a drain of this spot.  I
need to confirm this, but it looks like it is true.

Anyway, the Black-necked Stilts were not located early this afternoon.
Hopefully, I simply missed them.  There are a huge number of similar, if
smaller, locations where they could be in addition to further north.

That concludes this report.

Mark and Tommie Gail Bennett

113 Iroquois Circle

Russellville, KY  42276