[birdky] Black-necked Stilt

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:46:41 -0500

This morning I saw a pair of Black-necked Stilts. I first observed them from my
truck while parked on Pearson Road, a private gravel drive near 739 pond. They
were foraging in shallow water a couple of hundred feet away from me beside a
tobacco patch on that road. I took a snapshot of them with only my camera,
fearing they would take flight if I got out of my truck. They soon took flight
anyway and appeared to land at 739 pond. I waded along a sprayer track through
mid thigh water to get to where I could look out over 739 pond. (Don't know how
the sprayer made it. Fresh tracks since the big rain) Relocated the stilts and
got a few heat distorted, but recognizable shots of them. Little else visible
at 739 pond except mallards & blue-winged teals & a couple of unidentifable
shorebirds about a quarter mile away.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County