[birdky] Birding at Lake Reba, etc.

  • From: Doty McQuerry <dotymac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:28:32 -0500

My previous post also included an advertisement at the beginning of it
that I DID NOT put there.  Obviously, there's something wrong with my
Yahoo account.  Anyway, my post should have read:

Hello.  I went out to Lake Reba and Camp Catalpa (in Richmond, KY)
today since it has warmed up a little.  I saw what I thought was a
Belted Kingfisher.  I was on one side of the lake, and it was on the
other side.  When I got home, I confirmed that it was, indeed, a Belted
Kingfisher by logging on to enature.com
and listening to one.  It was exactly what I heard.  Also, I saw about
20+ Mallards and a huge flock of Canada Geese.  They were all sitting
on some ice that was remaining on the far side of the lake.  Lastly, I
saw 3 Great Blue Herons sitting in a row on an "island" on the far side
of the lake.

On Friday (01-04-08), as I was coming back to Richmond from Berea, I saw a
beautiful Red-tailed Hawk.  In fact, just about every time I travel between
Richmond and Berea
around late afternoon, I see it sitting on the electric line that runs
in front of the fence of the Bluegrass Army Depot land.  It's always
just sitting there in about the same spot.  Anyway, I still get a
thrill from seeing it every time and almost run off the road looking at
it, lol.

Doty McQuerry
Richmond, KY
Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.