[birdky] Re: Beckley Creek Park Louisville Tonight

  • From: Rob Lane <shrikeguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "shrikeguy@xxxxxxxxx" <shrikeguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 03:40:04 -0500

Well........ tonight's woodcock watch at Beckley Creek Park was a bust.

After a literal day long wild goose chase near Indianapolis for a Barnacle
Goose with Brian Davis we proceeded back home and to Beckley Park. We arrived a
few minutes before 6pm. An eastern meadowlark serenaded from a tree as our
group gathered. I was hoping it was a good omen for us.

I however must have carried the birding jinx back from Indy. Several people
came out on a beautiful mild Friday night and we waited and waited and waited.

Finally at 7:15 pm one male woodcock flew in ,called a few times and did one
display flight and that was it! Not even a thank you peent for us when he
landed again.

Not sure what went wrong as weather, skies, and wind were great. Perhaps the
snow/ice of the past week and deep freeze made the other males depart the area.

Thanks to all that ventured out tonight. Hopefully with some warmer weather
perhaps another calm night in a week or so will be more productive.

 Yet at least now more people know about the area and where to search in
Beckley Park and what a beautiful park it is!

Good Birding,

Rob Lane
Louisville, KY

BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison.