[birdky] Re: Backyard Harassment

  • From: Roberta Burnes <rburnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bryant, Rhonda'" <rbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:32:56 -0500

Rhonda, have you tried the WindowAlert decals for your windows?  We have
them on our windows here at The Arboretum and they really seem to have made
a difference in the mortality rate of the birds around the building.  In
fact, we've had no deaths since they've been used (that's 2 years).  Before
using them we had rather frequent deaths and collisions.  Of course, the
other key to reducing collisions is the distance you place feeders from the
window (you probably know this already).  The safest place to put feeders is
right next to the window or within 6 feet.  Any farther and birds build up
too much speed when flying off the feeders before colliding with the
windows.

Roberta

  _____