[birdky] Backyard Harassment

  • From: "Bryant, Rhonda" <rbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:13:57 -0500

I am not sure if I am doing the birds I am feeding a favor or not. They are
continually being harassed, and no doubt eaten, by a female sub adult Cooper's
and an adult male Sharp-shinned, as well as two neighborhood cats. And then
there is the White-throated that did itself in on the back glass; likely
attempting to escape one of the fore mentioned.

I have been feeding some black walnut kernels that have gotten old; tossing a
few a day. The resident Mockingbird has decided they are his/hers. It is rather
interesting that it swallows whole no matter what the size. Clearly a full gut
is the important factor and not taste fulfillment.

Scott
Lexington, KY
smarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:smarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>