[birdky] BROKEN WING

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BirdKY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:14:05 -0400

I had found the Indigo Bunting a week ago Sunday, unable to fly at all.
He scurried about in circles, darting between my feet on the parking lot
pavement. He struggled very little once captured. I figured he was weak
of hunger; he had been chasing a moth when I first noticed him. I had
him for several days before I got around to finding someone to take care
of him, and several more before I actually caught her at home. Schedules
made it hard to find a time for transfer, and the bird of this story had
appeared to stop eating the grasshoppers I had been offering. So last
night I decided to let him go; I had noted some improvement in his
strength in his cage antics. I am happy to say he was able to fly some
50 feet to the spruce in the back yard and even gain a little altitude
toward the end to reach a branch. I put a water dish and bird seed on
the ground under the low slung tree and left him. He was still chipping
the late in the evening from high in the tree.
Scott
lexington