[birdky] American Coot

  • From: Deana Renfro <deanarenfro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:21:28 -0700 (PDT)

For those that may be interested, there where 3 American Coot that showed up at
the Game Farm in Frankfort KY
(KY fish and wildlife and the salato center) back in late January and when we
visited today we discovered that there are now about 15-20. They are all pretty
small so I am wondering if maybe these are babies. I'm not really familiar with
this breed, I need to do a little research I suppose and find out when they
reproduce. The birds of Kentucky field guide says these birds are only here in
the winter so I look for them to be leaving as soon as the smaller ones are big
enough. If you know anything about this breed please let me know.