[birdky] A few interesting notes from Friday; no rare birds

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 21:14:42 -0400

I have not really done much birding in awhile. I noted in 35 minutes on
Wednesday a very uncooperative Nashville Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo and
Baltimore Oriole as well as one very cooperative Common Yellowthroat.  Today at
UPS I was working on a feeder wall when a co-worker screamed in alarm,"Ah!
There's a bird up there."  It was a Yellowthroat trapped between a bay door and
a trailer.  When the truck moved I pished it out into the open flying again,
but it would never drop low enough to get clear of the bay area and make an
escape, so frustrated I closed the bay door thinking if I left it alone it
would eventually fly out.  It was quiet in that bay door area for a half hour
before another truck pulled up, and when I went to work in the truck i didn't
see any movement and was hopeful it made an escape, but then it came out
nervously fluttering around the top of the bay door.  Some birds definitely are
better suited to deal with the artificial environments we have created than
others, I hope he eventually got out.  Someone also reported a snipe to me from
the nightshift.

On another note a friend of mine purchased a house off of Barbee in the
location of the Black-crowned Night-Heron rookery.  I was there late on Friday
after everyone else went to bed at the tail end of a costume party, and was
outside enjoying what I thought was going to be an intense lightning storm when
I heard a heron squawk a couple of times.  This was the first one I had noted
this year at the location so I went out back and looked up in the tree to see
if I could spot a silhouette with the naked eye.  Even against the red-violet
hues of a stormy sky and the less natural burst of light emanating from the
city I could not find one in all the wind, but just before I left I turned
around to look up in time to see the dark shape of one moving across the sky.
Birding in a storm at 4:00am on Derby Eve can be a magical experience.

Good Birding,

Michael Autin Louisville, KY