[birdky] A "Ruff" day at Minor Clark Fish Hatchery

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:47:32 -0400

I went to the fish hatchery this morning. When I got there I noticed they had started
to drain the ponds. Mike Wright from Morehead was at one pond.....and looked pretty serious. I checked
out a couple of other ponds and when I came back toward him, he motioned me over.
He pointed down into the pond. When I finally figured what he was looking at, all
I could see were the whites of the stretched up underwings and a very rich rust color
before he flew. I asked what he thought it was and he thought it a Ruff. We searched and
relocated the bird. It's molting but there are still some neck feathers. I got some pictures
which I'm downloading now and will post one just as soon as I can.

When I left at 1:30 the bird was in one of the front drained ponds. However, 2 workers at
the fish hatchery were driving down the roads between the ponds shooting off bottle rockets
from the truck.....twice. The shorebirds (Ruff, Least Sandpipers and Killdeers) took off but
did return. I just don't know if they'll keep returning if the guys keep that up.

I have finally gotten around to doing a decent website.

www.lanahays.com

Check the "What's New" page and if the Updated date is 7/8/06 then you'll know that I've posted
at least one image.

Lana Hays
Walton, KY
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY