[birdky] 27 November 2002

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:32:28 -0800 (PST)

The McElroy area was hosting about the same birds as
the past few days with hundreds of Lapland Longspurs,
American Pipits, and Killdeer present.  Four Dunlin
were mixed with the Killdeer in the soggy spots in the
field.

Walton's Pond, which is receeding quickly, had over
one hundred Green-winged Teal, but the White-fronted
Geese have moved on.

While scanning the area from Walton's, I picked up a
very distant Golden Eagle in the binocs.  I then drove
to the intersection of highways 31-W and 240 where I
videotaped the bird directly overhead.  It was
drifting to the south in lazy circles high in the sky.
 This was my first Golden Eagle for Warren County.

A check of Barren Reservoir this afternoon revealed
fewer birds than were present yesterday.  I did see a
pair of immature/female Surf Scoters, along with
approximately one hundred each Common Loons and Horned
Grebes.  Three flocks of Sandhill cranes were seen
migrating totalling about 200 birds.  Other waterfowl
present included Mallard, Black, Pintail, Shoveler,
Gadwall, Wigeon, Canvasback, Ring-necked, both scaup,
Bufflehead, Hooded and Red-breasted Merganser, and
Ruddy Duck.  An adult Bald Eagle was observed near the
dam.

Dave