[bcbirdclub] Re: "starling invasion"

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <heckofanurse@xxxxxxx>, "bird club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:39:45 -0500

Travis and The List,
I meant to reply to this yesterday, but got sidetracked.

Nice bird photos and nice looking platform feeder. The birds will enjoy that.

As to your starling problem one solution that some birders have for that is to
situate the suet so that the birds can only get to it from underneath.
Woodpeckers, titmice and chickadees will hang upside down to get to it, but as
a general rule starlings won't. Since you did such a good job on that platform
feeder, I'm sure you could come up with a small flat box or some other
container with one side exposed that would hang upside down where the suet
would be facing downward. You might have to serve the suet in it in the upright
position for a day or two until the birds get used to it, then face it downward.