[bcbirdclub] Windmill Farm Planned for Tazewell County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:16:14 -0500

Hi All,
Some of you may have already heard about this, and if so I apologize for
repeating the info.

This evening I received an e-mail from new BCBC member, Renae Matney, telling
me about an article in the Bluefield Daily Telegraph announcing a wind project
planned for Tazewell County including Burkes Garden.

It seems that two companies, Dominion and BP Wind Energy North America have
purchased about 2,560 acres in Tazewell County in order to set up windmills for
the alternative production of electricity. Part of the purchased property,
according to the Daily Telegraph, is in Burkes Garden. While I am certainly in
favor of alternative sources of energy production, I was just wondering what
effect this will have on the Golden Eagles and Rough-legged Hawks that winter
there. In the past windmills have been notorious killers of birds in general,
especially during night migration.

A public hearing is to be held concerning the project on Tuesday, February 3 at
8:00 p.m at the Tazewell Middle School.

Thanks to Renae for the "Heads Up".