[bcbirdclub] Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in Mercer County, WV too.

  • From: "annmcrae" <annmcrae@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 22:08:27 -0400

-
Subject: Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in Mercer County,WV too.

Hi Roger and bcbc members,
   Though we're not in Virginia, we're fairly close.  We've enjoyed
Roger's photos of the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and will readily
agree that Compton Mountain is the ''birdiest " place in south
west Virginia.   Thanks Roger for sharing all the good bird sightings
from your mountain top.  Forgive us while we bragg just a little bit
about our feeder birds today.
*******

Everyone seems to have Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at their
feeders this spring !   Rose-breasted Grosbeaks arrived here
at our feeders (Bluefield)  April 22 of this year.   Yesterday
and today has been rainy and dreary and the R. B. Grosbeak
numbers has increased from the half-dozen earlier this week to
9 males and 5 females today. I've filled the five sunflower feeders
twice today, must have been 3 gallens total with a refill at dusk.
"Our grosbeaks" hang around all summer and bring their young
to the feeders, too.  I now feed the birds year round just because
of the R.B. Grosbeaks.

A male Baltimore oriole also appeared on the back lawn,today.  He
didn't seem to notice the hummingbird feeders,  tried a sunflower
feeder then went to a suet cake feeder where he ate for about
5 minutes.  A male Indigo Bunting has also been eating under
neath the sunflower feeders since May 2nd.

Wishing everyone lots of R. B.Grosbeaks this spring.

Ann & Grady McRae
Bluefield, WV      Mercer County