[bcbirdclub] Re: Migrants coming inside

  • From: William <wbreid3290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 07:33:45 -0400

If you open it 12-14" you may get a Merlin or something like that...

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2015, at 12:04 AM, "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You know the migrants must be on the move when they start coming inside to
visit. Yesterday morning about 8:00 while my wife and I were having breakfast
at home we heard a noise coming from another room. Investigating we found a
female Hooded Warbler inside the house trying to get out through a window.
The night before we had slept with the sliding window open about 6 or 8
inches, and this Hooded Warbler had found her way inside, but was having a
problem getting out. I quickly captured her and took her to the kitchen
window, which was easier to open. I stuck my hand with the bird in it outside
and opened it. The Hooded just lay there and blinked, not realizing it could
fly away. It stayed in that position for about 30 – 40 seconds then suddenly
took flight. She was observed a few minutes later feeding in the birch tree
over the pond.

Other migrants we had today were a Chimney Swift, 3 Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1 Gray Catbird, 2
Brown Thrashers, 1 male Black-throated Green Warbler, 1 Worm-eating Warbler,
an adult male Hooded Warbler, 2 Scarlet Tanagers and 1 Chipping Sparrow. The
complete list is below.

24 species
Chimney Swift 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3f
Mourning Dove 21
Downy Woodpecker 2 ( 1m, 1f)
Red-eyed Vireo 1
American Crow 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Eastern Bluebird 5
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher 2
European Starling 6
Cedar Waxwing 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 1m
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Hooded Warbler 2 (1m,1f) (Female came inside the house through an open window)
Scarlet Tanager 2
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 4f